This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Tufted Duck

Aythya fuligula

male

female
Appearance:
Medium-sized diving duck
Grey-blue bill
Yellow eye
Male:
   Black with white flanks
   Long, black head tuft (less prominent in non-breeding plumage)
Female:
   Brown with paler flanks
Juvenile:
     Similar in appearance to female
     Colour less vibrant
     Tuft less pronounced

Although similar in appearance to the Scaup, which I am familiar with, the long head tuft on the male made this fellow immediately stand out.  He is just one of the many ducks that frequent the Boating Lake in Regent's Park.

Learn more about the Tufted Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment