This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Ring-necked Parakeet

Psittacula krameri

Appearance:
Large parrot
Long tail
Green/yellow plumage
Upper bill dark red tipped with black
Lower bill black with dark red at base
Yellow eye
Male: (photographed)
    Black chin
    Wide black stripe across lower cheeks
    Pink collar
    Nape of neck washed with blue

Female:
     No head markings
     Faint yellow/green collar
     Shorter tail


It always strikes me as odd to see these birds in London, as parrots are found mostly in tropical climates.  Apparently, the feral population in Britain is a result of escaped or deliberately released pets over the years, dating back to Victorian times.  


 Learn more about the Ring-necked Parakeet

No comments:

Post a Comment