This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Monday, April 27, 2015

Pochard

Aythya ferina
Male
Female

Appearance:
Medium-sized diving duck
Triangular head shape
Male:
   Long, dark bill with grey band
   Reddish-brown head and neck
   Black breast and tail
   Grey body
   Dark bill with pale grey saddle
   Red eyes
Female:
   Brown head and body
   Dark bill with narrow grey band

I photographed this handsome couplr in Regent's Park along with a Red-crested Pochard (photo below).  The Common Pochard breeds here and is considered a wild bird as it does not derive from captive stock.  However, although the Red-crested Pochard also breeds in the park, it cannot be counted as a wild bird at this location.

Red-crested Pochard
Learn more about the Common Pochard
  

No comments:

Post a Comment