This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Moorhen

Gallinula chloropus

Appearance:
Medium-sized water bird
Dark plumage with white line along flank
White undertail
Red frontal shield
Red bill with yellow tip
Yellow-green legs and feet
Toes are lobed, not webbed
Red eyes

These birds are common throughout the UK and I have seen them in freshwater marshes, pond and canals. What I hadn't seen before is the awkwardly adorable chick.  Looks like it needs to grow into those feet!  Like the Coot, the Moorhen has long chicken-like toes that help it walk on the top of floating vegetation and the mud.



Learn more about the Moorhen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment