This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Lapwing

Vanellus vanellus


Appearance:
Pigeon-sized wader
Wispy crest extending upwards from back of head
Iridescent green and purple upperparts
White breast and cheeks
Orange-brown under tail
Pink legs
Summer:
     Black throat
Winter:
     White throat
     Buff-coloured border to the feathers of the upperparts

Yet another eye-catching bird I saw at the Wetlands earlier this week.  Apparently, the name refers to its peculiar, erratic way of flying.  Although referred to simply as Lapwing in the UK, elsewhere it is known as the Northern Lapwing.  It also goes by the name of Green Plover and Peewit.

Learn more about the Lapwing.

No comments:

Post a Comment