This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Egyptian Goose

Alopochen aegyptiacus


Appearance:
Large waterbird
Reddish-brown to grey-brown upper parts
Buff-coloured underparts
Pale buff head and neck
Reddish-brown patch around eye and at base of bill
Orange eyes
Pink bill with black tip, nostrils and edges
Reddish-brown collar 
Brown chest patch
White wing patch
Black tail
Cinnamon-coloured undertail coverts
Pink legs and feet
Male:
     Green secondaries

Although called the Egyptian Goose, this bird isn't really a goose. It is most closely related to the Shelduck, which incidentally isn't a duck at all but a cross between a goose and a duck. Who knew?


Learn more about the Egyptian Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment