This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Blue Tit

Cyanistes caeruleus


Appearance:
Bright blue crown
White forehead and cheeks
Dark blue line passing through eyes and encircling the white cheeks to the chin
Blue nape, wings and tail
White bar on wings
Yellowish-green back
Yellow underparts with a dark line down the abdomen
Black bill
Bluish-grey legs

I spent today at the London Wetlands. As their website says, it is an urban oasis and definitely worth a visit. One of the many birds I saw there was this handsome Blue Tit.  It was checking out the interior of a little birdhouse.  I initially thought that it was feeding little ones inside, but apparently it's too early for that.  According to the internet, late May is the time for Blue Tit chicks to hatch.
  
juvenile
Learn more about the Blue Tit.


No comments:

Post a Comment