This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Goldfinch

Carduelis carduelis


Appearance:
Red chin and forehead
Black lores and crown
White cheeks
Tawny brown upper parts
White belly and rump
Black wings with large yellow band

I saw this bird while wandering around the village of Nettlebed in the Chiltern Hills. She was carrying dried grass in her bill, most likely gathering material for her nest. I say 'she' as it is the female goldfinch that builds the nest.

It is possible to tell the difference between the sexes by their appearance; the red on the male extends behind the eye while on the female it doesn't. Unfortunately, the angle of this photo doesn't provide the view needed to make this determination.

Learn more about the European Goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment