This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Dendrocopos major
 
Appearance:
Starling-sized woodpecker
Black crown and nap
White forehead, cheeks and throat
Black back, tail and wings
Large white patch on shoulder
Small white spots on wings
Buff-white upperparts
Red under tail
Black bill
Greenish-grey legs
Male: (photographed)
   Red spot on the nape
Juvenile:
   Red top of the head between the bill and the center of the crown

This is another of the striking birds I saw at the Wetlands yesterday.  Initially, I saw him gripping the bark of a tree and probing the trunk for insects.  Then, he decided to take the easy way out and moved over to the feeder. Lazy thing!

Learn more about the Great Spotted Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment