This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Shoveler

Anas clypeata


Appearance:
Dabbler duck
Large, spoon-shaped bill
Male:               
    Green head
    White chest
    Rusty sides
    Black bill
Female :(pictured)
     Mottled brown
     Gray and orange bill
Listen to its call.

I love these ducks. They are so odd looking with their huge bill.  I saw this one in Regent's Park last week.  There was only the one though; no male in sight.
Stretching after bathing

Comb-like projections on bill used to strain food from the water.  

Learn more about the Shoveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment