This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Rook

Corvus frugilegus


Appearance
Large black bird
Large grey-black bill, with bare grey-white skin around base
  
Listen to its call. 

I saw a large number of these birds in the fields along the river trail between Ware and Hertford. I determined they were Rooks for the following reasons: 1) "untidy" leg feathers, 2) bare grey-white skin at base of bill, and 3) Rooks are sociable birds while Carrion crows are usually found alone or in pairs.

Learn more about the Rook.

No comments:

Post a Comment