This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Pied Wagtail

Motacilla alba yarrelli


Appearance 
Slender bird
Long tail
Black above (very dark grey in female) and white below
White face
Black cap, throat and breast
White outer tail feathers and wing bars
Winter (above)
      Plumage is greyer
      Less black on the breast
      Grey flank
Juveniles (below)
     Often tinged with yellow



I struggled trying to identify these birds which I saw this afternoon on the lovely grounds of The Vyne outside of Baskingstoke in Hampshire.  The yellow face on the one was throwing me off completely. After hours of deliberating,  I finally found a forum on the RSPB website that confirmed its identity (thankfully).

Learn more about the Pied Wagtail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment