This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Black-headed Gull

Chroicocephalus ridibundus


Appearance:

Small gull
Red bill and legs
Pale gray back
White underparts
White edge along forewing
Black wing tips
 Breeding: (above)
      Dark brown head
Non-breeding: (to right)
     White head
     Dark spot behind eyes

Listen to its call.  


Non-breeding plumage - in flight
These gulls are a common sight in England.  I often see them flying overhead and hanging out in the parks in London.  

Learn more about the Black-headed Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment