This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Goldeneye

Bucephala clangula 


Appearance:
Medium-sized diving duck 
White flanks, breast and belly 
White patches on secondaries 
Yellow eyes 
Male: 
     Dark iridescent-green head
     Black back, wings and tail 
     Round white patch on face below eye 
     White scapulars with black striping 
     Black bill 
Female: 
     Chocolate brown head 
     Gray back, wings and tail 
     Yellow tip on black bill 

 


I don't know about you but I find these feet rather funny looking. The contrast between the orange feet and black webbing make the toes stand out in a way that I've never noticed before. Very odd!
 


Learn more about the Goldeneye

No comments:

Post a Comment