This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Woodpigeon

Columba palumbus

Appearance:
Large pigeon
Mostly gray with pinkish breast
White collar/patches on sides of neck
Iridescent green/purple patch above collar
Black tip on tail
White wing patch
Yellow eye
Pink legs and bill
Juvenile:
     Browner than adults
     No white on neck

I read somewhere that the Woodpigeon, which is common throughout the UK, is equivalent in size to approximately forty Blue Tits.  That is one big pigeon!

Learn more about the Woodpigeon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment