This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

With the amount of time we have been spending in London lately, I decided it was time to get out my camera and broaden my knowledge of birds of England.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Common Coot

Fulica atra

Appearance:
Medium-sized water bird
Black plumage
Prominent white frontal shield and beak
Red eyes
Lobed flaps of skin on toes
Juvenile:
   Paler than adult
   Whitish breast
   No facial shield

Like their cousin the Moorhen, Coots are a common sight on the park lakes and canals around London.  They are an odd looking bird, especially their feet which I've always found just a little bit frightening.  And, going by the picture below, it appears my concerns were not unfounded!


Learn more about the Coot.

No comments:

Post a Comment